The Q&A Archives: Yellow Banksian Rose = Flowered this spring, now dying?

Question: Dear Monrovia, I have enjoyed your Monrovia Yellow Banksian Rose bush for the past 3+years, with ample blooms and vigorus growth. This year after it flowered, growth has stopped, and I just noticed that the main truck of the plant (closest to the grown) is split significantly and is a rust color? Any idea what the problem might be? Does not look hopeful.

Answer: This really does not sound good. Based on your description it might be a canker or borer problem for example. I would suggest you consult with your local county extension, a professionally trained and certified nurseryman or possibly a consulting rosarian through the American Rose Society to get a firm diagnosis and then based on that, determine how to proceed. I'm sorry about your rose. Here is the link to the ARS.