The Q&A Archives: Pergola Plants

Question: Hi,
I just completed a pergola for my backyard and now I am trying to decide on what kind of climbing plants I should use. I would like something that has a subtle fragance, bright and thornless. Besides these qualities, I would also like for it to provide shade.

Answer: Here are a few of my favorites:

JASMINUM POLYANTHUM (PINK JASMINE): Vigorous evergreen vine that produces heavily fragrant white flowers with petal reverse in pink. Sun, part sun, usually deer resistant.

TRACHELOSPERMUM JASMINOIDES (STAR JASMINE): Evergreen vine for sun or shade (flowers best in sun), usually deer resistant, drought tolerant. Perfumed white flowers.

LONICERA (HONEYSUCKLE): Large group of evergreen and deciduous vines and shrubs with fragrant tubular flowers, often in yellow or orange shades. Easy to grow, for sun or part sun.

STEPHANOTIS FLORIBUNDA (MADAGASCAR JASMINE): Cold tender, evergreen vine with fragrant waxy white flowers. Needs warmth, partial sun, good drainage. Added to bridal bouquets and to leis in Hawaii for the wonderful perfume.