The Q&A Archives: Re : berries on Japenese Barberry

Question: Are the berries on the Rose Glow/Japanese Barberry poisonous or toxic? I have a 2 yr. old and need to know before I purchase them. Thank you.


Answer: According to the California Poison Control web site this plant is capable of causing mild toxicity such as stomach upset if eaten and can also cause skin irritation. The bushes are also thorny. Many common landscape and house plants can be toxic, so you will need to keep a close eye on your child and teach them not to eat plants -- except in the kitchen when they are served! Here is the web site if you have more plants to check.

You should also keep the poison control number and your pediatrician's number handy at the phone just in case.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Sempervivum Henry Carrevon"