The Q&A Archives: kUMQUAT BLOOMS

Question: I have a Nagami Kumquat; I bought it this spring. It will live indoors during the winter, and out in the sunny back yard during the summer. It bloomed early with tiny white flowers, but when the flowers fell off, there was no fruit to replace them. Now, I notice that more small blooms are forming... Is this normal? Will it produce fruit for me?

Answer: I think your tree must be healthy overall if it is blooming well. Citrus trees tend to produce more blossoms than fruits, and even after fruit does set, much of it will drop prematurely as the plant tries to set a balance of what it can suppport through maturity. You may want to try increasing fruit set by moving pollen from flower to flower using a small soft paintbrush to swab from bloom to bloom. Good luck with your kumquats!