The Q&A Archives: gaillardia

Question: We have a number of clumps of your Little Devil Gaillardia in a rock garden, which receives full sun from noon on. These are second year plants, which did extremely well the first year, and began the first 5 weeks of the growing season with plenty of new growth and a profusion of flowers. The last 2 weeks have been nothing but rain; approx. 16 inches, and the plants are under a great deal of stress; wilting, but some are recovering after the sun sets; laying over, with some recovery after sundown, etc.
Please tell me what I can do to help them survive this.

Thanks,we love your products and pur

Answer: If your plants were healthy going into this stress, they should recover on their own with no special treatment from you. Waterlogged soils deprive roots of oxygen, which can show up in wilty stems and foliage. Just give your plants a little more time and I'm sure they'll perk right up.