The Q&A Archives: Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diabolo'

Question: I just send a question in but I think I forgot to mention what the shrub was. I left this shrub in the HOT car for several hours, I have watered it but the top outside leaves are curled and browning. I am giving it as a 40th anniversary gift in a couple of weeks. Should I prune these branches, what should I do.

Answer: I would not prune it. I would set it in a location with good direct morning sun through noontime, water as needed to keep the soil slightly moist but not sopping wet, and be patient. You may see the dmaged foliage brown or crisp and drop, but it should be able to releaf. If by gift giving day it looks very rough, you could trim it back lightly to remove the worst affected foliage. Good luck!