The Q&A Archives: We are moving to Mexico and need some info on seeds

Question: We are moving to Mexico to build small bungalows which will take 6/7 months to complete and would like to get some starts going. Getting seeds is easier than plants down there. We are going to be in the Puerto Vallarta area so is this a possibilty

Answer: I would think that any plants grown as annuals would do fine there, and some may even be perennial in that environment. So vegetables like tomatoes, beans, eggplant, etc. (the heat-loving vegetables) should do well. I am not familiar with the weather there, especially at high altitudes. If you are growing bananas, then it must be mild! Some cool-weather crops like broccoli might not thrive there during the hot parts of the year--but may do well in winter. The timing and duration of any rainy seasons will affect what you can plant. You might want to contact the local Chamber of Commerce - they may additional information or sources for you.