The Q&A Archives: Dendrobium Orchid

Question: I received a dendrobium for Christmas and the buds look like they are ready to open, but the leaves keep turning yellow. Is this a result of a sudden change in environment or is there something that I should have done for it and didn't? <br>

Answer: It is possible that transporting your new orchid caused it stress, especially if it was chilly or windy on the trip to its new home. Sometimes new plants just need time to adjust. Make sure your orchid gets bright sunlight (or artificial light) 10-15 hours a day, keep the soil moist and the daytime temperature about 70 degrees. Lower the temperature to 60 degrees at night and mist the plant or add humidity by placing the pot on a tray of pebbles to which you add tepid water every few days.<br><br>Hang inthere - I'm sure your orchid will adjust and reward you with beautiful blooms.