The Q&A Archives: Tibouchina Urvilleana-Princess Flower Potted Shrub

Question: I recently bought a Monrovia Tibouchina Urvilleana and am keeping it potted til we figure out where to plant at in our yard 2 miles away from the Pacific Ocean.
Leaves are starting to curl up, die, and drop. Any tips on what this might be and how to avoid. Appreciate it!!

Answer: Plants in containers tend to dry out more quickly than the same plants planted in the ground. Additionally, if sunshine directly hits the nursery pot, it could overheat the roots and cause stress to your plant. I'd start by immersing the pot in a larger container of water to thoroughly soak it and drive out any air pockets around the roots. Leave the pot immersed until no more air bubbles rise to the surface. Then allow the pot to drain. If you can shade the container from direct sunshine, your plant will apprecitate it. Either sink the pot into the ground, or place an object in front of the pot to shade it. Water your plant thoroughly when the top inch of potting soil is dry. Apply enough water so that it runs out of the drainage holes. Every 2-3 weeks you might want to immerse the pot again to make sure the soil hasn't dried out too much. Best wishes with your Tibouchina!