The Q&A Archives: Saving my roses

Question: I recently purchased 3 climbing rose plants of yours and we have had to wait to plant them due to construction around our house. They have been in the pots but I think they have received too much water. The leaves are looking yellow, etc. Can they be saved? We are going to plant them on Saturday.

Thank you,
Melissa Currie

Answer: Based on your description I am unable to tell you exactly why they are yellowing. There can be a lot of causes for yellowing, including too little sun, too little air circulation, over or underfertilizing, over or underwatering, and the start of some fungal infections such as black spot. I would suggest you first remove all of the yellowed leaves, then plant them making sure they have full sun all day long, good air circulation, and well prepared soil. Keep the soil slightly moist like a wrung out sponge, not sopping wet. Mulch with several inches of organic mulch over the root areas. Then keep an eye on them for signs of more yellowing. If they show signs of it again, consult with your retailer or county extension to get a more complete diagnosis. Good luck with your roses!