The Q&A Archives: Cucumbers/ Black-eyed Peas

Question: What do the pests that eat the leaves from black-eyed peas look like? How do you get rid of them without causing damage to edible crops?

Answer: Elisha,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

If you are seeing leaves eaten away the possible culprits could be grasshoppers, caterpillars or some type of beetle. It may be that they are gone now if you are not seeing new damage. If new damage is occuring and you don't see anything eating the leaves, try going out with a flashlight at night as some pests are nocturnal.

With a better identification you should be able to get a better control recommendation. In the meantime you could try a general purpose insecticide labeled for vegetables. However unless the plants are losing a LOT of leaves the damage will not affect yield and can be ignored.