The Q&A Archives: Giant Burmese Honeysuckle/canna tropicana variegated shell ginger

Question: I would like to plant the Gian Burmese Honeysuckle over my entry outside but I see that it bears fruit/berries. Are they a lot, do they stain, what color? If this plant is going to cause a staining problem on my walkway, I can't plant it. What other plant like that would you suggest for over my walkway?

Regarding the Variegaed Shell this a type of canna tropicanna? Can it grow in Murrieta? Where can I find it?

Susan Freeman

Answer: Honeysuckle does produce berries but they?re generally eaten by the birds. If some fall, you can sweep them up before they?re stepped on and that should eliminate any possibility of staining the sidewalk.

Canna tropicanna will grow in your hot summer climate. Keep the soil moist during the spring and summer when its growing and blooming; plant in full sunshine.