The Q&A Archives: GROWTH

Question: I have just purchased an ROSE GLOW JAPNESE BARBERRY plant and I know it is a slow grower, but could you tell me approximately how much it grows per year? And could you also tell me what would be the best plant to get that would be out in full sun and will be a good barrier to keep away children?
Thankyou, Sincerely Lynn

Answer: Barberry does well in full sun and has some thorns so I suppose it might help to keep children away. If however you meant something to protect children from the barberry, you might pair it with mugho pine or low growing junipers. These are evergreens that do great in similar growing situations -- full sun and well drained soil. Barberry grows maybe six inches to a foot a year at the most, it depends on the overall growing conditions and the weather each year. I hope this answers your question.