The Q&A Archives: sky pencil japanese holly

Question: We were considering using sky pencil japnese holly to make a narrow border in a small garden area totaly in the sun. We live in zone 9 in Florida where temp can get into 100s. We heard this heat was too much for this plant. What others might work that are tall, up to 6 feet, narrow no more than two feet, that would be low maintenance in zone 9. Thank you

Answer: Pat,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

I can't think of anything for your zone that is that narrow and short. I suggest you contact your County Extension Office for a list of plants that are adapted to your local area. Perhaps they are aware of some options that would work.