The Q&A Archives: Forcing Amaryllis to Bloom

Question: I have been growing amaryllis bulbs in pots on my windowsill. Up until about one year ago, they have been flowering on the average twice a year in spite of being grown continuously. Now they are producing a lot of new bulbletts, but no flower stalks. What must I do to induce them to flower?

Answer: I'm amazed that your Amaryllis have blossomed repeatedly despite the lack of a rest period! In general, they won't repeat bloom without some down time. Here's how to give them a break, which will hopefully encourage them to bloom again. <br><br>After flowering, cut off the stalk but allow the leaves to remain. Keep the soil moist, but not soggy. In the sprng place the pot outdoors in a shady place. In late summer, when the leaves turn yellow and die, stop watering, bring the plant indoors, and allow it to rest in a cool, dry place for about three months. Around the first of December, repot and bring it into a bright room. Begin watering again and a new flower stalk and new leaves should emerge from the bulb. When the weather warms in the spring, take it outdoors again to repeat the process. As for the bulblets, remove them and propogate more amaryllis. If the parent bulb is genetically disposed to perpetual bloom, the offspring should be, too!