The Q&A Archives: tall hedge palnts for hiding outside neighbors

Question: We need a plant that can be planted against a tall fence and will grow taller than 8-10 feet to hide a railroad beyound our fence in the back yard. We have a pool and it is cose and may have spaching of clorinated h2o on it ocassinally/ The area is 5-9 feet from the above grond pool and we want estetically nice and possibllycolorful seasonal and minimal shedding into the pool fo leaves and flowers. Thank You for you suggestions. We also live in Jacksonville FL and have some colder weather in North Florida,no tropical til summer time. THANKS Lisa Kelly

Answer: Lisa,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

There are a number of evergreen shrubs that would screen the view for you. Some to consider are Southern Wax Myrtle, Ligustrum, 'Little Gem' southern magnolia and 'Bright 'N Tight' cherry laurel. I would put the cherry laurel on top of the list of considerations, although the dwarf magnolia ('Little Gem') is very nice.