The Q&A Archives: My Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light' didn't come back this year

Question: I cut back the grass in early spring and none of my 4 plants came back. I have one or two wisps coming in from each but that's about it. Does this mean they are dead or could they possible come back next year? Thanks

Answer: This grass should be winter hardy for you, cutting them off short in early spring is a routine thing to do, so I am not sure what happened. Perhaps they were located in a spot that was too wet, or perhaps there was some accidental herbicide exposure, or something unusual happened. If just a few shoots are growing it sounds like they suffered severe damage. You might want to replace them as it will take a long time to regrow a solid clump from a tiny start. I would suggest you try to trouble shoot what happened with your nursery staff before replacing them in the same spot, just in case it is not well suited to them.