The Q&A Archives: Root structure

Question: I have Majestic Star Pines (Norfolk Island Pine, Araucaria). Can I plant them close to the house? Are the roots invasive? When planted close together, will it reduce height?

Answer: Norfolk Island Pines have the growth potential of reaching 100' feet in height and 60' in width. The roots are not considered invasive, but there will be a large root mass on a large tree. You can keep these trees smaller in both height and width by keeping them in containers, or placing a root restricting barrier in the soil prior to planting them. I still wouldn't plant them too close to the house. Even when kept on the small side, the trees will still spread in width. I'd give them a generous 10-12' from any structures and use a barrier in the soil (such as that used for containing bamboo). Best wishes with your new trees!