The Q&A Archives: Wintering Arabian Jasmine

Question: I recently purchased an Arabian Jasmine at a nursery in New Jersey. I actually live further north in the Mid-Hudson Valley region in New York. I believe that we are both in Zone 5. However, the nursery worker stated several times that the plant would winter outdoors. I have owned other jasmines before but I have never heard of a jasmine plant that hardy, but I could be wrong.

Could you just answer this question and whether or not the soil that the jasmine is planted in should be acidic?

Thanks a lot

Answer: Jasmines generally do prefer a soil on the acid side, yes. Using a water soluble fertilizer for acid loving plants should be enough to keep it happy when grown as a container plant. Arabian Jasmine or Jasminum sambac 'Grand Duke' is only hardy to zone 10 -- think Florida -- so no, it would not survive the winter outdoors in zone 5. (There is a Jasminum nudiflorum or Winter Jasmine that is hardy into zone 6 but it has yellow blossoms on bare stems in late winter and is not comparable to this one!)