The Q&A Archives: re: "little charmer" Diascia hybrid

Question: I bought this plant a week ago and put it in a large pot a few days later. I thought it would be happy to have all the room to root out and grow. However, a few days after potting all the flowers died and then the leaves began to wilt and dry up. The directions for this plant say to keep it in full sun, which is what I've done with it, I've also made sure to keep the soil fairly moist. What can I do to save this plant? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. -Molly Murn

Answer: Diascia is a plant that prefers cooler temperatures and also likes sun. For this reason it seems to do better in morning-only sun where it is a bit cooler during the summer. It may take a break from blooming or bloom less heavily in the heat of summer but comes back strong in the fall and will bloom until frost. Keep the soil evenly moist like a wrung out sponge but not sopping wet. Also use a good quality soilless potting mix formulated for container plants, this will be made to hold both air and moisture while also being well drained. The container should also have drainage holes in the bottom. Since it declined after repotting, check that the roots are directed outward into the new soil, that the plant is no deeper than it grew originally, and that when you water the water is soaking into both the old and new soil. The textures of the old and new soil should also be similar so they drain the same way. If the foliage is dried you can trim it back a bit. I hope this helps.