The Q&A Archives: Where To Get Bulbs Of The Krubi Plant

Question: Can you tell me where I can get bulbs for the Krubi plant? <br>It goes by several names (Sacred lily, devil's tongue...) so I've included a brief description: Bulbs are planted outdoors in the spring/summer where they produce a leafy, umbrella-like stalk. First frost kills leaves, and bulb is dug up & brought indoors. In late winter, larger bulbs produce an exotic, funnel-shaped, maroon flower (with a foul smell, unfortunately). Some catalog was offering it a few years ago.....I can't remember which.

Answer: The plant you speak of is known by many names (Sacred Lily of India, Devil's Tongue, Stink Lily, Voodoo Lily). I searched for it's botanic name (Amorphophallus rivieri) and finally found it at Plant Delights Nursery. You can email Plant Delights at or phone them at (919) 772-4794. The descriptions of this plant's scent sound hideous...I heard "a pile of wet socks mildewing in a corner", "a dead animal in your basement", etc. It does however, sound very interesting!