The Q&A Archives: Butterfly garden

Question: What plants are good for butterfly's ? I planted 2 butterfly bushes they didn't live thru the winter.I live in zone 5.
Thank you

Answer: Many plants can be used to attract butterflies and also serve as larval food plants. Some hardy perennials that seem popular include Nepeta, Monarda, Phlox, Echinacea, Rudbeckia, Salvia, Liatris, Sedum, Asclepias and Achillea. Annuals to attract them would include parsley, dill and fennel along with marigolds, verbena, zinnia, cosmos, cleome, lantana and sweet alyssum. Lilac, mock orange and viburnum are some hardy flowering shrubs to consider as well. Although butterfly bush may not always be hardy for you, it may be worth planting one each summer as it is truly a butterfly magnet. Here is some information about butterfly gardening that you may find helpful. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.