The Q&A Archives: Injured Red Baron Flowering crab

Question: I have red baron flowering crabtree, it is 4 years old and it is about 2

Answer: Based on your description I am not sure what has happened to your tree but the symptoms do not sound good. There may be a problem such as a canker or there may be infection at the site of an old wound, or there may be a problem with the graft just for examples. I would suggest you consult with your local professionally trained and certified nurseryman or perhaps with a professionally trained and certified arborist who can examine the plant (or photos, they may appreciate overall shots showing the whole tree as well as some close-ups and also foliage samples) and give you a more precise diagnosis of what is happening. Then based on that, you will be able to decide how to proceed. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your tree.