The Q&A Archives: Sky Flower Duranta

Question: About the Sky Flower Duranta 10-25'h, 6-10w sold at Home Depot. I need a very small tree to give shade to Camellia and screen my back yard from my neighbor. Fence to brick area is about 4-5' and in the sun. Do I need the trellis or supports for the Sky Flower to grow to 9'high? Are fruit clusters messy on the red bricks? Is the fruit poisonous?

Compared to Roundleaf viburnum tinus-Viburmun

Answer: Sky Flower Duranta is often used as a quick screening plant. It grows fast, 10-25' tall and 6-10' wide. It tends to form multistemmed clumps with vineline branches. It produces blue flowers which attract butterflies in the summer and then bunches of yellow fruit which are popular with birds. I don't think the yellow fruit will stain the bricks. The fruit is not considered toxic or poisonous, but I wouldn't recommend eating it. You won't need a trellis to support Duranta, but you may want to stake the plant until the main stems are rigid enough to hold the vinelike branches upright. Duranta is faster growing than viburnum. If it's fast coverage you want, choose the Sky Flower Duranta.

Best wishes with your new shrub!