The Q&A Archives: Growing Sunflowers in Central Florida

Question: Hi!
I just purchased some sunflowers and would like to know how to take care of them. They are still in the pots and I would like to plant them permanently. The weather here in Ocoee, Florida is very hot. The plants are getting wilted eventhough I am watering them every day. They are planted in a Full Sun area, as I was told to do. Please, HELP US! Thank you, Nrim

Answer: According to the University of Florida, sunflowers grow quite happily in your gardening region. They require full sunshine and well-draining soil. Perhaps yours are wilting because their roots have outgrown their nursery pots. By all means plant them in the ground and water them in well. Then wait until the top inch or two of soil dries out before watering again. Too much water will make them wilt just as quickly as too little water. Best wishes with your new plants!