The Q&A Archives: Lawn Drainage

Question: I have a big problem with water settling on my lawn for days. It only happens on half of the back yard, and stays for days after it rains. I do have a sprinkler system which I need in Florida to water my lawn, and was wondering if a french drainage system would work.

Answer: Charles,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

A French drain would be an effective option if installed properly. It has to slope downward very gradually and there must be some lower area for it to drain into. I suggest you consult some landscape companies in the area to see who does that type of work.