The Q&A Archives: problem with aucuba gold dust

Question: Can you tell me why the acuba plant leaves are getting black borders and the stems are turning black?

Answer: Aucuba is occasionally affected by disease problems such as a leaf spot disease and/or anthracnose that could cause symptoms such as this. In some cases it is related to planting too deeply or overly wet soil and/or poor air circulation, but sometimes symptoms such as this are related to winter sun exposure/cold injury causing dieback the following growing season. I would strongly suggest you work with your county extension to determine specifically what is happening to your Aucuba and then once you know that for sure, work from there. They may appreciate photos and/or samples to work from. Good luck with your shrub.