The Q&A Archives: hardy rhododendrums

Question: just wondering what rhodi you would recommend for a zone 4 climate. This rhodi will be planted in an area with just about no sun. I cleaning out some woods and want to enhance the appearance. Is this a shrub you would use? Thanks, Jan

Answer: There are some rhododendrons hardy into zone 4, such as the Catawba group and some hybrids such as PJM, Purple Gem and Ramapo for example. I would suggest you consult with your local professional nursery staff and/or county extension to see if they think they will thrive in the area where you want to plant. If not, they should be able to suggest something that will do well for you based on a more detailed understanding of the growing conditions where you want to plant and your design goals. Good luck with your project!