The Q&A Archives: Tiny Tower dying

Question: I purchased 4 TINY TOWER cypress last fall. All 4 have had problems. The branches yellow and brown seemingly from the inside out; although there is some redishness at the tips. We know someone else that had a similar problem. At the direction of the nursery, I have sprayed and cut off dead material. One is almost dead; one is half its original height; two are surviving, but still have problems. What do you recommend?
Thanks for your help

Answer: It's difficult to say for sure what the problem is. The most common reason for the failure of new plants, especially trees and shrubs, is lack of water. This can be due to insufficient watering or rainfall, as well as rootbound plants or improper planting practices that encourage water to run off rather than soaking in.

Another, less common, problem is using insufficiently diluted soluble fertilizer, which can burn plant roots.

You might check with the nursery to see if they offer any guarantee on the plants they sell; some, for example, offer a 1-year warranty.