The Q&A Archives: How much sun can my plant tolorate

Question: Hi I have recently purchased a Desdemona Ligulara from one of your Canadain suppliers, They really didn't seem to know much about this plant. Anyways my question is what is the tororance to sunlight for this plant. I put it in my ponds edge and we had a temp of 84deg and the plant completely wilted with a few of the leaves having brown and dried out spots. It was in full sunlight. I did not think our Canadian sun was that hot. Was this the problem or is there something else going on. Thanks Rob

Answer: Desdemona Ligularia grows best in cool, moist soil in full shade. It's perfect under the canopy of trees or at a woodland's edge. The sunburned spots on the leaves and the wilting in full sunshine confirm the fact that your new Ligularia needs a more sheltered spot than the edge of your pond.