The Q&A Archives: care tips

Question: I bought a powderpuff dwarf and it didn't come with a care tag. So may I have some growing tips?

Answer: Dwarf Powderpuff is Calliandra haematocephala, an evergreen tropical plant native to the Americas and Asia. The powderpuff is named after its whimsical red or pink flowers. Other interesting features are the flower buds, which resemble raspberries, and the leaves, which close up at night or during drought. Besides their fascinating appearance, Calliandras enrich an outdoor display with their ability to attract hummingbirds. Fruit is pod shaped, 3 to 6 inches long.

Calliandra thrives as a landscape plant in Florida and grows best in full sun. Keep soil evenly moist. This plant likes high humidity. Use a liquid fertilizer every two weeks, spring-summer. Calliandra may bloom several times during a season and a high phosphorous fertilizer will increase flower production.

Enjoy your new plant!