The Q&A Archives: Pumpkin Culture

Question: I've had very little success growing pumpkins. They get plenty of sunlight and enough water. The plant grows, but the pumpkins never get too far passed the flowering stage. Am I over watering them? Or is the soil poor? I grew only one pumpkin this year and it was the size of an orange.

Answer: Sounds as though you need to try a shorter season variety of pumpkin. Ghost Rider matures in 115 days. Try giving the plants about an inch of water a week. If the vines look wilted, water some more. <br><br>If your soil is poor, that could be the problem. Amend the soil with lots of organic matter--compost or aged manure, for example. When you fertilize, side-dress with a 5-10-10 to encourage blossom development. And, try to plant other things in the garden that bloom when your vines blossom, to attract insects to your garden. Better luck next year!