The Q&A Archives: Low Growing Shrub

Question: I'm looking for a wide low growing shrub or flower that has deep roots for planting on a slope. Good drainage on the slope, also full sun to part shade. I'm in zone 9.

Answer: Hillsides generally offer a less hospitable environment for plants than do level gardens. Soil is usually shallow and poor, and it's hard to get water to penetrate deeply enough to promote strong, dense roots. The following suggestions are for plants that will provide attractive cover for slopes and help prevent soil erosion: Rosa rugosa, creeping rosemary, ivy, Lonicera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle), Star Jasmine, and Malephora (Ice Plant). You might also consider spreading junipers, horizontal cotoneaster, or Vinca (periwinkle).