The Q&A Archives: Getting rid of bugs

Question: I am new to gardening. I planted some cannas along with hibiscus, banana plants and elephant ears around my pool. The cannas have quit blooming even though I feed them Miracle Gro's Bloom Booster. The are infested with small black bugs that resemble small eggs and they attach themselves to the new leaves like glue. This keeps the leaf from opening up and eventually it kills the flower buds as well. How can I get rid of whatever is causing this problem. Thank you in advance.
Margie

Answer: Margie,

Cannas can tend to cycle in bloom. I can't identify the bugs you have based on the description. I suggest you take a sample of the leaves and the insects to your County Extension Office for identification, and for appropriate control recommendations. They have a horticulturist and Master Gardeners in the office and someone should be able to identify the problem with a sample in hand. Their contact info is:

Texas Cooperative Extension in Tarrant County
401 East Eighth Street
Fort Worth, TX 76102-5504
Phone: 817.884.1945

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Dianthus 'Nyewood Cream'"