The Q&A Archives: Mimosa Tree

Question: We have two large mimosa trees in our yard that appear to have died. They are planted in pairs and two are across the yard from the other two. One is alive in both sets but the other appears dead. Actually, I have seen several in the area we live that seem to be dwarfed in size this year.....(the leaves that is)
The trees we have are bare, as though they never came back from being dormant. What would you suggest? What should we look for to know if they are dead or alive and if they might come back next year.

Answer: The trees may have experienced some stress over the winter and early sprng months but since they're well established they may recover. I'd leave the trees alone until next spring. You may see some leaves appear later in the season. If not, check to see if the stems and branches are alive by scraping away the bark; green tissue means it's alive and there's still hope; brown tissue just beneath the bark means that stem or branch is dead. You can prune away the dead wood in hopes of new growth. If you don't see anything encouraging by next spring, it's time to remove and replace your mimosa trees.