The Q&A Archives: Hebe Speciosa and Globulorai Sarcophylla

Question: From the neighborhood Community College I bought two plants. I bought it because I liked its look, but I cannot find any information about it. It has been sitting in its small container since April. The tag on one says ?Hebe Speciosa? and the other is ?Globularia Sarcophylla? I do not know where I should plant them, what it?s like and dislike is, how big it grows or if it has fowers. Any information you can give me will be very much appreciated

Answer: Hebe speciosa is the variegated leaf Hebe. The nearly succulent-looking green leaves with creamy-white edges make this broadleaf evergreen shrub a delight even when not in flower. The purple-violet blooms are set off very strikingly against the variegated leaves, & are long-lasting in summer & autumn.

It eventually reaches reaches four by four feet with a tendency to be rather rounded. If never pruned at all, it can reach six feet, but becomes leggy a dead-looking center, so it needs a good sheering every couple years to keep it compact & in prime condition. It grows best in full sunshine but will tolerate morning shade.

Globularia sarcophylla isrom the eastern Mediterranean & Balkan Peninsula. It is best suited to well-drained soil or a rock garden. To 8? tall & 15? wide, it bears bright blue puff-balls in summer above densely packed, shiny, evergreen leaves. Its natural habitat is dry, stony grassland, so don?t baby it too much. Provide full sunshine for best performance. Enjoy!