The Q&A Archives: Wisteria Problem

Question: I bought a wisteria in a Monrovia pot 2 years ago. It was labeled as a white, perhaps Japanese, variety. The blooms are lavender, which is fine with me. Do you have any comments on the color?

The plant has developed some rust colored spots on the leaves. The dark spots are clustered and a yellow halo is around the clusters. Does this sound familiar. I have scanned a leaf but I do not see how to attach it to this e-mail.

Your help is appreciated. The plant is doing great and I want to keep it healthy.

Answer: Zachary,

It is possible for some plants to send out a "sport" which is a genetically altered shoot. This is how many new varieties are found. However I am not sure about your plant. If you did not see any white blooms earlier it may have been a lavendar variety all along.

The leaf spots sound like a fungus. Products with chlorothalonil (Daconil is one brand) are usually pretty effective. Your best bet is to take some leaves showing the spots to your County Extension Office and see if they can identify the disease. They would then be able to recommend an appropriate, labeled product for you to use.