The Q&A Archives: relocating cannas

Question: we are doing construction to our home and now my cannas are in full shade.I need to know if it's ok to move them .they havn't bloomed yet, but are about a foot and 1/2 tall. will it kill them or stop them from flowering this season?

Answer: Moving them might set them back a bit but leaving them in a full shade location is probably worse. I would move them if they were mine. Cannas like full sun, heat, and rich moist soil. Keep in mind that they will probably be larger underground now than when they were planted so dig generously and take as much root as possible when you dig them up. You might work in some slow release fertilizer (follow label instructions) and some compost when you replant. Replant immediately and keep the soil evenly moist while they re-establish. Good luck with your cannas!