The Q&A Archives: flowering plants for shaded areas

Question: The two flower beds in front of my house get some sun in the morning and late afternoon, but are mostly in shade. Hostas seem to be doing well and I recently planted some impatiens. One problem I'm having is with the different daylillies I have planted. Some have buds and are blooming and some have just a few leaves, but no buds. Is this a result of transplanting them in last year or are they not getting enough sun? Can someone suggest other flowing plants that would look nice mixed in with hostas that would flower in mostly shade?

Answer: When faced with that type of a location, it often makes more sense to look at sun loving plants which tolerate some shade and experiment with them, especially when your shade lovers are frying in midsummer. Here are some fairly tolerant plants to try: shorter varieties of daylily (hemerocallis), perennial geranium, purple coneflower, heuchera (coral bells), variegated liriope, various types of sedum and the annual, fibrous rooted bedding begonias. I'd give the daylilies another season to establish themselves. If they don't bloom next year, the area doesn't receive quite enough sunlight to make them happy. You can replant them to a sunnier spot if this is the case.