The Q&A Archives: Sowing Soybeans Correctly

Question: My garden soil needs soybeans. And I could use the soy nutrition also. I don't know if I should grow them like bush beans or pole beans. Can you tell me about soybeans?

Answer: Soybeans are enjoyed as fresh shell beans or as dried beans. They have a high protein content. I love the butterbeans suchas 'Envy' which is eaten green. It available from Johnny's Selected Seed ( Soybeans are grown like bush beans. After last frost date, plant beans about 2 inches apart, one-inch deep. The plants grow upright, like bush beans. Most pods ripen at once. Clip the plants near the base when the beans are plump in the pods. Strip the pods from the plants, rinse, and steam or boil for about 5 minutes. If you want dried soybeans, instead of stripping the pods from the plants, hang the entire plant upside down in a sheltered area until the pods are completely dry. Then remove the beans from the pods.