The Q&A Archives: How To Grow And Process Saffron

Question: I ran out of saffron that my grandmother supplied me after her death. It is used for making soup and in various gravies in our family. After drying it is a reddish yellow flower that turns yellow when used in cooking. Question? Which saffron seed/plant do I order and how do I dry it for processing, etc. Is it Crocus, Autumn Luteum or Crocus, Autumn Specioosum or what and can your company supply it?

Answer: The crocus you are looking for is Crocus sativus, or, Saffron Crocus. The color of the bloom is a royal purple and the source of the saffron, the stigma, are a bright golden orange. It is currently available from Shepherd's Garden Seeds at ph. # (806) 482-3638 or, write them at 30 Irene Street, Torrington, CT, 06790-6658. They provide complete growing and harvesting instruction. Making any paella? One of my favorite saffron inclusive recipes!!