The Q&A Archives: Marathon Seed in the midwest?

Question: I had the greatest lawn on the block back when I lived in So. Cal.
When I bought the house, the front lawn was a mixture of bermuda grass, St. Augustine, and dirt.

I killed it all with roundup; got rid of the dead

Answer: The Marathon grass you would have used was one of several special blended fescue mixtures (eg Baja and Hubbard 87) developed specifically for the climate and soil -- growing conditions -- in southern California and would not thrive for you in Illinois. Instead you will need to select varieties suited to your new local climate and soil conditions. Your local county extension should be able to help you with evaluating the lawn area, soil testing and preparation as well as specific suggestions as to which grass type(s) will do best for you. Here are some fact sheets that should be helpful to you in your planning.

Enjoy your new lawn!