The Q&A Archives: Starting a Cut Flower Business

Question: I owned five acres of land and would like to grow cut flowers to sell to florists and to the public. Please advise me in what flowers would be best to grow here in Florida and how to go about it. I love Dahlias.

Answer: Dahlias are gorgeous, however I don't see very many in my area (Jacksonville area) in florist arrangements. I don't know why because they are beautiful. I suggest you talk to several florists in your area and see if there is a reason for not including them in floral arrangements--perhaps they don't last long as cut flowers. Also ask the florists what type of flowers they like best, and perhaps whether they would be interested in you as a local supplier. I always suggest careful market research for anyone starting a new business. <br><br>Gladiolas would make good cut flowers. Zinnias, carnations, and daisies would do well. Consider whether you want only annual flowers, or a mix of annuals and perennials. There are many good cut flower books available, such as The Cut-Flower Garden by Theodore James, Jr. (Macmillan Publishing Co., 1993); Backyard Market Gardening : The Entrepreneur's Guide to Selling What You Grow by Andrew W. Lee, Published 1995. I suggest you talk to one of the Extension Agents at your County Extension Office. Dade County Extension Office's telephone number is (305)<br>248-3311.<br>