The Q&A Archives: Seeds with different maturity dates?

Question: While looking through my seed catalogs, I notice a large difference in the days to maturity given for the same varieties. Why is this? Robert Bauer Endwell, NY

Answer: There are several reasons for the discrepancy. Some companies calculate the days to maturity based on direct seeding, while others figure them from the transplant date. A variety will mature faster when grown in a warmer climate and, for open pollinated crops, there may be several strains of the same variety that mature at different times, explains Ray Maude, sales manager at Stokes Seeds, Inc. in Buffalo, New York. When selecting varieties from a catalog, I'd use the days to maturity only as a guide to compare different varieties of the same vegetable, recommends Maude.