The Q&A Archives: Non-blooming Wisteria?

Question: I purchased two grafted, already in bloom Wisteria 4 years ago. I planted them on opposite sides of my deck and they grow beautifully up the lattice each year. I have yet to see a bloom. We did prune them off of the lattice to replace the lattice in year 2. They have since grown up again, and still no blooms. What can I do?

Answer: The most common reasons for bloom to fail are frost damage to the flower buds and improper pruning, sometimes too, overfertilization can contribute especially if they are adjacent to a lawn area that recieves lots of nitrogen fertilizer. (Since your plants are grafted and blooming we know it is not due to being a seedling that is shy to bloom.) Here are some wisteria growing and pruning tips that you may find helpful.

I hope they bloom for you next year!