The Q&A Archives: Hedge Options

Question: I need a thick hedge row, 6' height, that grows quickly and can handle a semi shaded area. It is to used as a privacy screen to hide farm equipment in a suburban type setting. I would like it to have leaves or needles year round. But it should notbe too expensive. <br>

Answer: I found two options for a privacy hedge that you may want to consider. One is the Amur River Privet Hedge. It grows to approximately 8' naturally but can be pruned to any height. It retains foliage almost year round, but not quite. There is also a hedge called "Tallhedge". It is not evergreen, but it also holds foliage well into winter. Tallhedge is very thick and due to its thickness it is often used to cut down on noise. It will grow to a mature height of 10-12', but can be pruned. Tallhedge reportedly grows 1' per year so you can get fast coverage. Both are available from Miller Nurseries at 1-800-836-9630, and in my opinion they offer good prices<br>