The Q&A Archives: Jananese Aralia wilting

Question: Planted several good size Aralias. Moved them once this spring. Too much sun. One plant started dying back about a month ago (In different location that other). Leaves wilt and then turn black. Eventually I lost whole stems. I have subsequently trimed dead material and moved plant to new location.

Any ideas?

Answer: Gerald,

That is some type of bacterial or fungal disease. Spraying the foliage with irrigation water or frequent rain (not this summer) can promote such problems. Sprays are probably unnecessary although a nursery may have some suggestions for such problems. I suggest you prune out any spots and then keep the soil moist and fertilize moderately to encourage regrowth. Don't keep the soil too dry or too wet. As the plants have time to get rooted in better they won't need watering as often.