Question: I planted MONROVIA PHORMIUM SUNDOWNER about a week ago.Several of the blades have already started to tilt and fall off the area above the root.the area above the root is a brownish-yellow.Theblades do not have enough support. Do I need to dig a deeper hole and plant it below the root base covering an inch above where root meets the blade? Help! I payed $120 for the plant! Any advice is greatly appreciated! I am zone 7.

Answer: Molly,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

Your phormium is most likely just struggling with some transplant shock. This is a stressful time of the year for a new transplant. I would not plant it deeper. You planted it properly based on the description you gave. Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. I think it will pull out of it and be fine.