The Q&A Archives: Little Princess Spirea and heat

Question: I planted 3 young Little Princess Spireas this spring, and each of them flower pink and then quickly turn a brownish yellow - the same color red yarrow turns in the heat. I have yet to see a nice round shrub full of pink flowers. Does this variety of spirea change color in heat? I water these shrubs regularly, and they get 6 - 8 hours of sun each day. Also, should I be removing the dead flowers? Thank you -

Answer: Your spireas are probably still becoming rooted and established and will not be blooming to their full potential this year. They may be undergoing some transplant shock, or possibly some heat stress since they do not yet have their full root systems, or they may have been pushed to bloom earlier than normal prior to purchase. This can cause the blooms to fade faster than they might ordinarily. Also, temperature, soil type, and moisture levels can all affect color to some degree. Once the first bloom flush has faded, go ahead and shear them off lightly to deadhead. If conditions are favorable they should rebloom.