The Q&A Archives: Fig tree question

Question: I have a fig tree (4 ft) in a pot indoors. Because of the warm weather, I now have it located on my porch. In trimming on of the branches, I accidentally pulled of some bark and now green is exposed. How do I repair the limb? Also, is this tree supposed to flower? I purchased the tree about 2 1/2 years ago. It has grown since being outside and has retained its glossy leaves. Not sure how to fertilize this tree..have used Miracle grow. Thanks in advance, Nicky

Answer: The best thing you can do for the damaged branch is to re-cut it so the cut is clean. It will heal over on its own, but it will heal faster if there are no splinters or shaggy bark. Your tree will blossom if it gets all day sunshine. Without adequate sun it will leaf out, but won't blossom or produce fruit. You can fertilize every 2-3 weeks during the growing season with a half-strength dilution of liquid fertilizer (Miracle-Gro is just fine.). I tend to use it half-strength and feed more frequently because plants in containers need to be watered frequently, which can leach nutrients out of the soil. Fertilizing every 2-3 weeks assures a constant supply of nutrients to the roots. Best wishes with your fig tree!